Can you fix standing water on a flat roof?
With the British climate being what it is, we know a thing or two about rainfall here in the UK! And standing water on a flat roof is a common problem.
But the good news is YES, you can fix it! You can in fact fix it yourself with a fantastic product originally used in the US but now available in the UK. It’s a DIY product that anyone can apply and it will level out the roof and stop water ponding.
On a performing flat roof, ponding water isn’t a problem as it will just drain away. However when your flat roof has uneven areas, an insufficient slope, or drainage issues, the water doesn’t dissipate. This can cause issues, including… (Tip: skip straight to solutions or read on to learn more about the common problems caused by ponding water)
Common problems caused by flat roof ponding:
- Degrading roofing materials, particularly on older modified and built up roofs
- Extra stress and damage to the load bearing structure due to the extra weight of the water
- In winter freezing standing water will expand causing more damage
- Stagnant water is a common breeding ground for insects and mosquitoes
- The water focuses any sunlight that travels through it intensifying it and causing more UV degradation
- Where seams overlap the ponding water can cause the membrane to lose it’s seal, allowing water in underneath
- Moss, algae and debris will collect in the water
Until recently repair options weren’t something that anyone other than experienced roofers could consider. Roof filling compounds were heavy, brittle and time consuming to apply. However there is now a product on the market that means you can fix the problem yourself, quickly and easily.
Ponding water on flat roof solutions:
There could be a simple solution to your roof ponding issues and it is definitely worth investigating these before you call in the professionals!
Look for dips
If the roof sags or has small uneven areas these need to be levelled. You can buy a very easy to apply, DIY flat roof levelling compound kit that comes with everything you need to pack in the dip and seal with a waterproof coating. You can even create slopes with it to navigate water towards drainage exits! Super easy and fast to apply, it can save you hundreds on your roof repair. Get your ponding water repair kit here.
- Check your drains
If there is anything obstructing the flow of water to the drain or the drain is blocked, remove any debris or blockage.
If you have improperly installed frames, joists or beams you’ll need to call a professional to come and advise.